Wednesday 8 June 2016

EU WWJD?



WWJD – What Would Jesus Do? 

Although WWJD bracelets may not be as popular as they were a few years ago, it is still possible to spot them on the wrists of Christians who have determined to make decisions based on their understanding of how Jesus might act if he were in their situation.

As we face the momentous EU referendum it seems appropriate to apply the WWJD principle to the question of whether we should vote in or out.

Judging by my Facebook feed a lot of people seem quite certain about how Jesus would vote.  However, the reasons given for this certainty have caused me considerable discomfort and, while I remain undecided about my vote, I share my WWJD thoughts thus far:

1.    I don’t think Jesus would use fear in order to influence people’s voting decision.  Fear is a tool of the devil.  Jesus came to set people free from fear and enable them to live in light and truth. 

2.    I don’t think Jesus would make his decision solely on economic grounds.  Knowing that he said, “You cannot serve God and money” the idea that this should be a vote based on which economic system should rule us doesn’t seem to fit his priorities.

3.    I don’t think Jesus would be half as excited about national sovereignty as many people seem to think he might be.  As the promised Messiah it was widely assumed that he would lead a revolt against Roman rule and “make Israel great again”.  He consistently refused to show any interest in such thoughts, apart from warning of the disaster that would befall Jerusalem when the nationalists took things into their own hands and rebelled in AD68-70.

4.    I don’t think Jesus would bring immigration into the debate.  Having been a refugee himself shortly after his birth, and given the consistent biblical theme of the need to welcome refugees, any idea that Jesus would argue that Britain is full just isn’t credible.

5.    I don’t think Jesus would be promoting “Brexit the Movie”.  Jesus broke stereotypes rather than reinforcing them.  I don’t believe he would have been comfortable endorsing the racist portrayal of Italians, the French and Asians. 

6.    I don’t think Jesus would blame the EU for messing up the country.  We never hear Jesus telling his people that they are in a mess because of Roman rule.  Instead he shines the spotlight on their own heart attitudes, challenges their misplaced pride in being Jewish and calls them to repentance.

7.    I don’t think Jesus would suggest that the EU is the answer to the big challenges that face the world.  We never hear Jesus telling his people that Roman rule will solve all their problems.  Instead he calls them to repentance and allegiance to a kingdom that is not of this world – a kingdom that transforms the world through people being transformed by the Spirit of God.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks Matt! You're right, and for me the last point is the most telling. I have already voted by post (not telling) but I was trying to work out which vote would serve God's Kingdom the best. Not much help from the politicians on that one... I'll keep praying for you!

    ReplyDelete